Re: nexrad feed

"John W. Nielsen-Gammon" wrote:

> Anne -
>    I read your document on "Recommendations for Receiving Radar Data".  We
> presently subscribe to WSI for receipt of all level 3 products from all
> radars.  We will discontinue this costly service once data from a
> reasonable subset of radars is available via the LDM.  This subset would
> consist of approximately six products from each of twenty radars.
>    The above-referenced document is three months old.  What is the current
> status of NEXRAD IDD, how can we participate in expanding or improving its
> functionality, and when can we anticipate discontinuing our WSI feed?
>                                         - John

> John W. Nielsen-Gammon, Dept. of Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M Univ.
>     O&M Bldg. Rm.1012A, 3150 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843-3150
>         Email: address@hidden  Phone:979-862-2248  Fax:862-4466

Hi John,

Currently via NOAAPORT I believe we're still seeing only the six
products (or eight, depending on whether you count SDUS4i and SDUS8i
products) that we were seeing on January 10.  See
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oso/noaaport.html.  Our understanding was that
the products listed under "PRODUCTS ADDED AFTER AWIPS BUILD 4.3.3 IS
IMPLEMENTED" would be available some time in March.  Since March is now
here, I will check to see if the stream has changed.

I'm not sure when the final set of products, those listed under
"PRODUCTS ADDED AFTER AWIPS BUILD 5.X IS IMPLEMENTED", are expected to
be available.  My understanding is that AWIPS 5.0 is out in the field
now, but that was true a month ago and the AWIPS 4.3.3 products weren't
yet being distributed, so I don't know what those phrases really mean.
I will ask and get back to you with whatever information I find.

Regarding how to expand or improve the NEXRAD IDD functionality, once
the other products are available it remains to be seen how the IDD will
perform.  Chances are good that sites will be able to get what they want
successfully, but a great deal depends on how much NEXRAD data sites
request.  I wish I could give you more concrete information than this,
but I just don't have it.  If you can afford it, you might want to keep
your WSI feed in place at least until the second round of products are
being distributed, which should happen sometime this month.

I will keep you posted.

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307