20010227: LDM installation support

>From: Simon Kissler <address@hidden>

Simon,

I meant to get back to you yesterday, but ran out of time...

>I am working on installing the LDM and getting it up and running and there
>are a few errors I can't seem to get rid of. I have verified the upstream
>host and such information but these remain:
>
>Feb 27 21:07:23 aeolus weather[980]: FEEDME(weather.cod.edu): h_clnt_create(we
> ather.cod.edu): Timed
>out while creating connection
>
>Feb 27 21:11:21 aeolus rpc.ldmd[979]: Denying connection from localhost
>
>I would appreciate any support you can give me.

This means that the College of DuPage machine does not have the
appropriate ALLOW line in its ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file for your
machine.  You should contact the LDM administrator at COD and make sure
that he has the information needed so he can feed you.  You can get the
LDM site administrator's email address from the IDD page:

Unidata WWW HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/

  Software
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/Software.html

    IDD
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/index.html

      Current Operational Status
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/iddgeneral.html#status

        IDD site contact list
        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/sitelist.html

The site contact for COD listed on the last page is:

Paul Sirvatka
address@hidden

Paul will probably send you along to:

David B. Bukowski
address@hidden

so, you might want to CC him on the message to Paul.

Another thing.  In order for the LDM to work, one has to be able to do
a forward and reverse name lookup for the machine that is running the
LDM.  For instance, we run an LDM on a machine named shemp here at
Unidata.  The test for forward and reverse name lookup goes as:

%nslookup shemp.unidata.ucar.edu
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Name:    shemp.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.27

%nslookup 128.117.140.27
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Name:    shemp.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.27

The idea is that there is a one-to-one match between the full machine
name and its IP address, AND DNS servers know about the machine.

You should test this out on your own machine, but it must also be
tested from the outside (not the local host).

It might help if you CC us (address@hidden) on your message
to Paul/Dave.  This way we will be kept informed of your progress.

Once you have the LDM up and running and ingesting data, we can quickly
get the ldm-mcidas decoders running and then tackle installation and
configuration of McIDAS.  All-in-all those jobs should not take more
than a couple or three hours (if everything is OK on your machine).

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Fri Feb 23 15:24:04 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010221: McIDAS etc. Information

To whom it may concern,

I have finished the task for downloading LDM and compiling the
source. Beyond that I am once again lost with this. I would greatly
appreciate any pointers or suggestions. Unfortunately due to an attempt to
hire additional new faculty this is starting to become a priority that
this is done, and I am receiving increased pressure to get this up and
running.

Thank you very much for any assistance you can give me.

Sincerely,

Simon Kissler

                Without trust, you don't have anything.