Re: Alden update... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:25:59 -0700
From: Larry Riddle <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: Re: Alden update...

A question relative to the Unisys DIFAX charts and the PNG format:

 > Is this the product format you get over the Ku-band?

The DIFAX maps we get from Unisys are PCX format.  The PNG format charts
Dan Vietor is/was experimenting with may be the next phase of Unisys
DIFAX.  He gave me some (as digital files) to look at.  They are sweet.

I get my Unisys DIFAX charts by ftp'ing to Unisys once an hour (via cron),
24 times a day.  Not a very elegant system.  SIO gets no weather data via
satellite anymore.  We were a Zephyr/Alden C-band customer at one time.  We
went from there directly to the IDD.

Where we'll go after we stop doing business with Unisys, I don't know.

Larry

-----===(*  Climate's what we expect, but weather's what we get.  *)===-----
Larry Riddle | Climate Research Div | Scripps Institution of Oceanography
University of California, San Diego | La Jolla, California 92093-0224
Phone: (858) 534-1869 | Fax: (858) 534-8561 | EMail: address@hidden
http://meteora.ucsd.edu/weather.html