Re: 20000831: Diagnosing data slowness at Penn State (new thread) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:43:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Arthur A. Person <address@hidden>
To: Jeff Weber <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20000831: Diagnosing data slowness at Penn State (new thread)

Hi...

I have a question on theoretical bandwidth limits for IDD traffic...

What is the maximum bandwidth in products/second as a function of
turn-around time on the network?  For example, if each product transmitted
to a downstream site had one turn-around wait associated with it, and the
average network turn-around time were 40ms, then a maximum of 1/0.040=25
products/second could be transmitted before products would begin to
backlog on any particular IDD stream.  I'm asking this because I'm
wondering if we might be pushing the limit on the number of products per
stream into navier which ingests all of the Noaaport and NMC2 stuff on one
stream (is that correct?... I'm assuming one connection to motherlode
results in all products being sent serially over the network in one
stream).

Can you enlighten me on interproduct latencies and theoretical maximum
products/second?  Or am I imagining a problem that wouldn't exist?

                                       Thanks.

                                         Art.
Arthur A. Person
Research Assistant, System Administrator
Penn State Department of Meteorology
email:  address@hidden, phone:  814-863-1563