FL mail troubles (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:00:05 -0600 (MDT)
From: Greg Woods <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: FL mail troubles

Another after effect of fl-phx:/local filling up appears to have been
that the sendmail aliases database got trashed. There are already
scripts that rebuild it periodically, but it got corrupted in a strange
way so that the rebuild also failed. I had to completely delete it,
then rebuild it to recover.  This would have resulted in some mail
bouncing headed for address@hidden addresses with a "user unknown"
error. The problem has been fixed.

I also created a symlink from "core" to /dev/null in the directory where
named runs, so that another core dump will not cause all of this to
happen again.

Monitoring scripts have been installed on fl-phx and bubby to restart
named if it crashes again. There has already been one crash this
afternoon on fl-phx (which would not have caused any noticeable outage
because named was automatically restarted almost immediately), so
whatever is causing these crashes is still going on. I have started
monitoring all packets to the DNS port on fl-phx in hopes that a crash
will happen while I am watching, so I can figure out what is causing
it.

--Greg