Re: [Fwd: Request to Participate in LDM Failover Testing] (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:32:51 -0500
From: Jerrold Robaidek <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
     address@hidden, address@hidden,
     Datacenter Staff <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Request to Participate in LDM Failover Testing]

Hi Anne,

This is Jerry Robaidek;  Russ Dengel and I are now responsible for
maintaining the LDM here at SSEC.  (Chad Johnson has taken a job outside
the University.)  You can probably just send email to Russ and I in the
future.

Some things to note:

-Currently the machine noaaport.ssec.wisc.edu is a our primary Noaaport
ingestor and decoder here at SSEC.  It has multiple interfaces set up on
it, one called noaaport.ssec.wisc.edu, and the other called
dusk.ssec.wisc.edu (Note: these have different IP addresses, they are
not just name aliases)  noaaport.ssec.wisc.edu is also the machine that
runs our LDM for the Unidata community Noaaport data feed.

-Soon noaaport.ssec.wisc.edu (dusk.ssec.wisc.edu) will be only serving
internal SSEC users.  The new machine sunshine.ssec.wisc.edu will be
running LDM and will supply the Unidata Community with Noaaport data.
We have done this to make our system more robust and reliable for both
outside and internal users.  The machine sunshine has actually been up
for a couple of months.  Its only job is to ingest, and run LDM.

-The unidata.ssec.wisc.edu machine supplies the Unidata community with
the McIDAS feed.

-Normally we fed off of nport.alden.com as a backup.  We have since
switched to thelma because the Alden machine did not have the latest
version of LDM on it, and was sending out incorrect data.

-We have had Noaaport antenna problems of our own.  Although things have
been quite stable for the last few weeks, we are running with a flaky
block down converter.  A spare has been ordered, but has not yet
arrived.  In the mean time, actually tomorrow (depending on the health
of the IDD) we hope to put in a different spare down converter( that
needed a waveguide input that we just received.)  We plan to use this
until we get our new block down converter.

-The way our system is are set up, our LDM feeds off of our SDI
ingestor, and we are then backed up through the IDD.  This ensures that
if either source fails, we will still get data without having to do a
manual switch over  (I apologize if this is obvious... I am very new to
the LDM world)

Now to address your question.... I could set up sunshine.ssec.wisc.edu
to feed off of ingestor.wunderground.com, but no decoding really occurs
there.  It ingests Noaaport data, and redistributes Noaaport data via
the LDM.  I currently point sunshine at thelma as a backup to our own
feed.  Now here is where my ignorance of the LDM really shows...  How
will I be able to tell if everything is feeding okay from
ingestor.wunderground.com?  Can I see this using ldmadmin watch?

Current LDM IDD Noaaport server, XCD decoder and Noaaport ingestor:
noaaport.ssec.wisc.edu (aka dusk.ssec.wisc.edu)

Future LDM IDD Noaaport server (very soon... Maybe this week) and
Noaaport ingestor:
sunshine.ssec.wisc.edu

Current McIDAS feed server:
unidata.ssec.wisc.edu

And I will switch sunshine.ssec.wisc.edu to feed from
ingestor.wunderground.com .

Sorry for the ramblings... I'm just hoping to clarify how things sit
here at SSEC.
If you have any questions, or want to clarify something, call me at
(608) 262-6025 or try 262-0502, if I am not there.

Jerry

Russ Dengel wrote:

> [...]

Jerrold Robaidek                        Email:  address@hidden
SSEC Data Center                        Phone: (608) 262-6025
University of Wisconsin                 Fax: (608) 263-6738
Madison, Wisconsin