Continuing Data Problems (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:37:03 -0400
From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Continuing Data Problems

It appears that NWS is still having continuing problems with hourly
surface data. At 18 minutes past the hour (13Z), I had a grand total of
15 US surface observations over a direct NOAAPORT system that has a good
signal. I've notice the continued lateness (but usually not quite this
bad) of the surface observations over the last few weeks. I think that
we did better some 25 years ago over a 50 baud teletype circuit. ...so
much for modern technology.

The Alden ku-band DDPLUS outage also celebrates its two-week anniversary
today.

The apparent lack of concern with communications really bothers me.
Observations are what the NWS and others do best, but failure to get the
info to users greatly reduces their value. I question whether too much
emphasis is being placed in the wrong areas. I'll take current obs over
a long range forecast, any day of the week.

                                Jim

--
James P. Koermer             E-Mail: address@hidden
Professor of Meteorology     Office Phone: (603)535-2574