Re: failed over to niu (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:53:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
To: Robb Kambic <address@hidden>
     address@hidden
Subject: Re: failed over to niu

Hiya Robb,

> > > I just failed over to you this morning.  Logged in and no data from
>
> Gilbert, et al.
>
> I want to clarify the confusion about the UCAR network connections. UCAR
> is connected by 2 major ISP's Qwest and UUNET to eliminate the single
> point of failure syndrome. The network connection that one site receives
> is sometimes based on the desination, amount of traffic, and also the
> availability of the network. Therefore it is possible for the routes to
> change from UCAR to the the top tier nodes.  At this point, I don't
> believe that this type of architecture should/will cause any problems.

For you, no. But for those who have multiple ISP's as well (like us), that
does present a problem. Anybody who has UUNET/ALTER.NET as their ISP
automatically goes through our saturated and slow T1 line from
Norlight. While they're working to get the new Centurynet online in
Illinois...we have the problem of anyone freeding from us via UUNET
experiencing large latencies..and data dropouts. So, it's kind of
weird. Personally, I think our T3 provider (Genuity, formerly BBN,
BBNPLANET, and GTE Internetworking) is awesome, and I'd rather just have
the T1 shut down until there is a problem. Oh, well.

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***