20000614: comments on NOAAPORT reliability from University of Washington

>From: Harry Edmon <address@hidden>

Harry,

>From my perspective, in the last week the reliability of the NOAAPORT
>reception from UCAR has been lousy.

We agree completely.

>Current thelma is not responding,
>and iita is an hour behind.  It appears that doing a delqueue and
>mkqueue on grayskies is helping iita.
>
>Is there any hope in speeding up the improvements to the hardware and
>software?

Yes.  We are poised to switch IDD relay activities from thelma to a
new, robustly configured (quad processor, 4 GB RAM, 0.5 TB disk,
gigabit ethernet, direct Mass Store access) machine that has just been
installed in the NCAR Mesa Lab machine room.  In addition, improvements
in the LDM queue management will be implemented on the new relay in the
near future (unfortunately, next week will be consumed by the Unidata
User's Workshop).  Lastly, we will be more closely monitoring thelma's
performance until the new machine can assume the relay activities.

We feel confident that these efforts will bring about the improvements
that we all know need to be made.

>--
>Dr. Harry Edmon                        E-MAIL: address@hidden
>(206) 543-0547                 FAX:    (206) 543-0308
>Dept of Atmospheric Sciences
>University of Washington, Box 351640, Seattle, WA 98195-1640

Tom Yoksas