20000515: NOGAPS Access & Distribution

Hi Mary Alice and Dave,

We had some exchanges about access and distribution to NOGAPS in February but, as far as I know, we haven't received any update since that time. I believe that I provided Steve Chiswell's name as technical contact, who could assist with the LDM implementation. The goal, as I remember it, was to move toward making the NOGAPS available directly from FNMOC, using the LDM technology, to community members who are interested in receiving the data. As an aside, are you still providing the data directly to the University of Washington?

The LDM has been functioning very well for the CONDUIT project, with the exception of the restriction of the T1 capability from the NWS/OSO to NASA/Goddard. The router problem that plagued the project for some time was finally detected and corrected at the NWS, and was not an LDM problem, but rather a hardware problem. If you are on the conduit email list, you have probably seen the latest draft plan that was sent to the NWS, NCEP and USWRP leaders for consideration. If not, I can forward it to you.

The NOGAPS from FNMOC would not be hindered by the restriction of the T1 that is being encountered between NWS and NASA-Goddard, because it would be the only data set being made available from FNMOC.

Are you still interested in making the data set available to the university and USWRP community?

Please let us know what is happening, and hopefully (if you're still interested) we can make some progress toward the goal.

Thanks,
Linda

Linda Miller - address@hidden
External Liaison, Unidata