Re: What's up with the FOS topo, etc. stats?

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Pete Pokrandt wrote:

> While doing some research for a proposal, I noticed that some of my
> idd machines show up with 'Unknown' status for the FOS topography,
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/status/idd/fosTopo.html) and
> other machines (profhorn.meteor.wisc.edu and mapmaker.meteor.wisc.edu)
> don't appear at all.  None of my machines appear with correct latencies
> as of right now.
>
> From my mail and cron logs it appears that my ldmadmin dostats is
> running hourly, no error messages, so I assume my stats are getting
> there, but for some reason don't get counted properly.
>
> There are *alot* of other sites showing up as unknown as well,
> so I'm tempted to think it's not just something I have set up
> wrong.  Is anyone else sending stat info and not showing up in the
> lists?

Assuming that address@hidden is accepting your mail, it seems
like there might be a problem with the software at unidata which tabulates
the stats, at least for some sites.  (However, Brockport is not among
them, so I had always assumed the sites listed as 'unknown' just weren't
sending back stats to unidata.)  The fact that the MCIDAS topology listed
there has been severely truncated (most of the sites, including ours
and our feed Cornell, don't show up at all, not even as 'unknown') for
several months would seem to point in the same direction.

Tom McDermott                           Email: address@hidden
System Administrator                    Phone: (716) 395-5718
Earth Sciences Dept.                    Fax: (716) 395-2416
SUNY College at Brockport