Re: blueskiess is down (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 19:37:22 GMT
From: David J. Knight <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: Re: blueskiess is down

Jeff,
    As you know I just got out of a thesis defense.
Your request came after I went in. Please send all
computing requests for Albany to address@hidden.

But we have another problem here.
The agreement with GDS that allows us to freely distribute
lightning data to Unidata Universities stipulates
that the recipients of this data not redistribute
it in *any* form. It is to be used for research
and education *only* within the institutions that
receive it. While I assume you and Pete are
living by the spirit of the GDS agreement,
you have violated the letter of the agreement.

If this is occuring elsewhere in the IDD system,
and GDS finds out about it, it is quite likely
that they will rescind our agreement to distribute
this data. This is proprietory data and GDS requires
that tight control be maintained on how it is used
and distributed (Too bad in my opinion but that is
another matter). It would be unfortunate if UAlbany
was prevented from freely providing this data to Unidata
Universities.

Please everybody, lets not get free and loose with this data
it is too valuable a resource to our community to risk loosing.

Thanks
David