RE: FOS vs NOAAPort (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:37:38 -0500
From: Dan Vietor <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden,
     "'Ldm-Users@Unidata. Ucar. Edu'" <address@hidden>
Subject: RE: FOS vs NOAAPort

> LDM users should be aware that the NWS has had major on-going
> problems in
> the relay of products through the Gateway as offices switch
> to AWIPS. It
> seems that when AWIPS is certified at an office, some of that offices
> products suddenly stop being sent on the Family of Services
> (FOS).

I can confirm this.  We've had ongoing problems with products being
dropped from FOS.  Customers of ours (or ourselves) eventually notify
NWS and the products eventually reappear.  But it often takes customers
to notice the missing products.  On the other side, they do seem to all
appear on NOAAPORT.

> I would not totally trust any product catalogs. The only way
> is to check your own databases to verify that you are getting
> what you need and that the product is current. If you are not
> getting a product, report it. They don't seem to have a plan
> to deal with this problem.

I have a script that I've run which catalogs products by WMO header and
pulls the first significant line from the product.  From this, I've
found that there is not a one to one match between WMO header and
product content.  The AWIPS header is the only was to be sure what you
are getting.  Maybe the direction to head is to get a list of AWIPS
headers and content description and go from there.  At least the AWIPS
headers don't seem to be a moving target at this point.

Dan.