FOS vs NOAAPort (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:23:20 -0600
From: Rodger R. Getz <address@hidden>
To: "Ldm-Users@Unidata. Ucar. Edu" <address@hidden>
Subject: FOS vs NOAAPort

LDM users should be aware that the NWS has had major on-going problems in
the relay of products through the Gateway as offices switch to AWIPS. It
seems that when AWIPS is certified at an office, some of that offices
products suddenly stop being sent on the Family of Services (FOS). We don't
use NOAAPort here, so I can't comment on any problems with that
dissemination. The NWS has not been verifying that all products issued by a
field office before certification are going out on FOS and NOAAPort after
certification. We have found and reported a number of these problems. Alden
has been very helpful in dealing with this problem.

I would not totally trust any product catalogs. The only way is to check
your own databases to verify that you are getting what you need and that the
product is current. If you are not getting a product, report it. They don't
seem to have a plan to deal with this problem.

Rodger R. Getz, President and CEO
AWIS Weather Services, Inc.
1735 East University Drive, Suite 101
P.O. Box 3267
Auburn, AL      36831-3267         http://www.awis.com
ph: (334) 826-2149 ext 104 (voice)  (334) 826-2152 (FAX)