RE: noaaport header information (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:42:25 -0600 (CST)
From: David Wojtowicz <address@hidden>
To: Dan Vietor <address@hidden>
     address@hidden
Subject: RE: noaaport header information

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Dan Vietor wrote:

> >    Peter, such a product would be great! We put that on our
> > wish list at the UNIDATA ATAC meeting three years ago as
> > something the community would like to see.
>
> Lets face it, there is no reason to do this at this point.  The reason
> is that most of the WMO headers NWS uses are in a state of change as
> they slowly move to the WMO standard. I've gotten too frustrated trying
> to write public product extraction programs.  So you want a daily
> summary.  One month its CSUS2 and the next is CDUS24.  And the migration
> for all WFO takes 6 months to complete.  Putting a list together today
> would become obsolete in a month.  If the weather service speeds up the
> migration to WMO and solidifies the headers, then a list like this could
> be of great use.  Now, its just too much of a moving target.

One would presume that someplace whoever keep switching these
headers at NWS has a "master-plan"  (presumably more detailed
than those horribly uninformative WordPerfect documents)

 David Wojtowicz, Research Programmer/Systems Manager
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences Computer Services
 email: address@hidden  phone: (217)333-8390