RE: noaaport header information (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:04:18 -0500
From: Dan Vietor <address@hidden>
To: 'Jeff Masters' <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Subject: RE: noaaport header information

>    Peter, such a product would be great! We put that on our
> wish list at the UNIDATA ATAC meeting three years ago as
> something the community would like to see.

Lets face it, there is no reason to do this at this point.  The reason
is that most of the WMO headers NWS uses are in a state of change as
they slowly move to the WMO standard. I've gotten too frustrated trying
to write public product extraction programs.  So you want a daily
summary.  One month its CSUS2 and the next is CDUS24.  And the migration
for all WFO takes 6 months to complete.  Putting a list together today
would become obsolete in a month.  If the weather service speeds up the
migration to WMO and solidifies the headers, then a list like this could
be of great use.  Now, its just too much of a moving target.

Daniel Vietor               Mail: address@hidden
Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-444-2407
Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-444-2420