Re: request for data

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Joe St Sauver wrote:

> >Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 10:57:27 -0700 (MST)
> >From: Robb Kambic <address@hidden>
> >Subject: Re: request for data
> >To: Joe St Sauver <address@hidden>
> >Cc: support-idd -- Anne Wilson <address@hidden>,
> > Jeff Weber <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> >
> >Joe,
> >
> >Sorry about the delay in getting your feed configured. I heard back from
> >ORST folks, maybe we will use them as a failover because of lack of
> >bandwidth available.
>
> Hmm. Odd to hear that there are bandwidth issues for Oregon State. The
> link between us is an intra-OWEN/NERO leased DS3 that I routinely watch
> via MRTG. See:

Joe,

I think it's an internal issue about network usage, the department verses
the university as a whole.  That's why Wagne suggested the rearrangement
of downstream sites.

> http://www.nero.net/RESOURCES/router/octets.207.98.64.5.html

Nice graph

> Oh well. Maybe the choke point is some internal ethernet or hub at Oregon
> State.
>
> >It might be possible to change one of ORST feeder
> >sites for your site.  I'll take a look at it. So in the mean time, I added
> >an allow in the ldmd.conf configuration file on  thelma.ucar.edu, that's
> >the main IDD server that we try to reserve for only top tier nodes.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> >You can test the configuration by:
> >
> >% notifyme -vl - -h thelma.ucar.edu
>
> I'm seeing product announcements just fine. Let me now dig into the Site
> Manager's Guide before going further.
>
> [Although as I rolled through the Configuring LDM page at
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmConfigInstallList.html
> I noticed that ldmadmin generates a memory fault and dumps core:
>
> >whitestar 6 % ldmadmin pqactcheck
> >sh: 19995 Memory fault - core dumped
> >/usr/local/ldm/etc/pqact.conf is syntactically correct

Ignore the core dump message, it's system dependent on how different OS
handle the parameter /dev/null as a LDM queue name. Our solaris x86
machine doesn't show that message. The importatant line is

> >/usr/local/ldm/etc/pqact.conf is syntactically correct

That's good.  To check/install changes in pqact.conf do:

% ldmadmin pqactcheck
% ldmadmin pqactHUP
% ldmadmin tail

Look for the log message about ReRead pqact.conf file.

To receive the data from thelma, a request entry needs to be entered into
the etc/ldmd.conf file, ie

request UNIDATA|FSL2 ".*" thelma.ucar.edu

Robb...