Re: Typhoon Fixed

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Devin Kramer wrote:

> Ok before everyone sends me all there pearls of wisdom.. I think I
> solved my own problem. Red Face.. typhoon only wanted my backup system
> listed as a node name rather then the FQDN.  Not sure but maybe this has
> something to do with NIS?  Anyhow we seem to have typhoon.atmos.ucla.edu
> up and running 100% now.  If any of my downstream sites are in dire need
> of a host feel free to switch over, but if you can stay with your
> failover through the weekend you might want to as we are not really
> battle tested yet.

Devin,

Glad you got your problem solved, some configurations are tricky.

> Dont know if anyone is interested, but in the process of trying to
> figure out why our SUN Ultra1 170E went South on us we discovered that
> the CPU fan was no longer running.  I called SUN for a replacement and
> discovered that there had been a recall on those fans some time ago.
> Not sure why I did not get any notice, but when I went around and
> checked my other Ultra1's I found two more with broken fans.  If you
> make a similar discovery at your site call your SUN telesales rep and
> they can get you new fans at no charge (aren't they nice!). I just hope
> it was not a overheated CPU that killed my ldm server!!

The CPU's gets really hot without a fan, I accidently touched one on a HP
and it burnt my finger.

Just a reminder, if you installed a binary version of the LDM you need to
get the pqact in the directory also, It has the Y2K bug fixes in it. If
you built the LDM from source, you need to get palt.c and replace the one
in the src/pqact  directory.

Robb...