20000121: RUC-2

>From: Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>

>I am interested in obtaining the RUC-2, RUC model that is run and
>distributed hourly. Is this product in the Unidata stream? If not, would
>you know where to ftp it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tony Wimmers
>Jennie Moody
>University of Virginia

Tony,

The RUC data on the NOAAport IDD data stream is the hourly 80km (grid211)
date. This data you already have access to.

The RUC-II grid #236 is carried on the CONDUIT data feed along with
a large amount of other data, however you can also obtain this data
via FTP from the NWS at:
ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data1/ruc2

in the data directory, under the daily directory names are
the hourly data files:

ruc2.TxxZ.pgrbfff
ruc2.TxxZ.sgrbfff
ruc2.TxxZ.bgrbfff

where xx is the initial model time (UTC hours), and fff is
the forecast hour (anal, f01, f02, etc....).

The pgrb files are primarily pressure level grids. The bgrb
files contain hybrid level grids, and sgrb are primarily
the surface level grids.

We are still working on the reliability of the CONDUIT delivery
of these data files.

Steve Chiswell