Re: Using NNTP for Internet Data Distribution (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:25:01 -0700
From: Russ Rew <address@hidden>
To: Joe St Sauver <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Using NNTP for Internet Data Distribution

> In the mean time, can we get set up to take a traditional Unidata
> feed from you? We'd only want the freely redistributable chunks, not
> the limited streams mentioned at
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/data_usage.html

Sure.  If you want the data 24x7 for using in classes and other
educational and research purposes, you probably want to get the feed
from an IDD site that has someone responsible for feeding downstream
sites semi-operationally, rather than from us.  This is actually part
of installing the LDM software and requires that you

  .. contact the UPC at address@hidden with the
  following information:

    Site Name
    Site Administrator
    Email Address
    Phone Number
    Fully Qualified Hostname of the IDD Node

so we can assign an upstream feed site and a fail-over site if the
primary site becomes unreachable.  This is one of the steps in the
"Configuring the LDM Checklist" available from

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/

which also has links to the LDM software sources and binaries and the
following step-by-step installation guides:

    LDM Preinstallation Check List
    LDM Binary Installation Check List
    LDM Source Installation Check List
    Configuring the LDM Check List

If you just want a temporary data feed from us for experimenting with,
that's a different story and we could set you up to feed from one of
our test servers for a while, but with no guarantees that we wouldn't
restart things from time-to-time, since we use these for our own
testing.

--Russ