iita and front (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:11:36 -0700 (MST)
From: Peter Neilley <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: iita and front

As many of you probably noticed, data feeds from both iita.rap.ucar.edu
and the backup front.rap.ucar.edu stopped about 24 hours ago.  It appears
that  both machines were brought to thier knees when RAP's primary mail server
went down over the holidays.  Both machines frequently mail out messages
to various people about thier status (including pqbinstats), and after
days of not being able to connect to the mail server, the accumulation
of sendmail and derivitive processes eventually caused both machines
and thier associated ldm servers to succumb.

Both machines are back now and feeding downstream hosts.  Let me know
if you believe otherwise.

In the meantime, we will work on modifications to avoid this problem
in the future.  We apologize to those that lost data.

Peter Neilley, NCAR/RAP
address@hidden
303-497-8446