Re: network bandwidth (fwd)

David,

I can't give you specific numbers for each site without digging into it in
more detail.  However, I can make a couple general statements for certain.
A large and growing number of our sites are already connected to the old
vBNS (VeryHighSpeed Network Service) and are now connecting to the newer
Internet2.  Robb Kambic may have some up to date numbers on how many are
already connected.

Check out:  http://www.internet2.edu/html/participants.html

and click on the university members pointer.  You'll see that many
institutions are participating and the list is growing fast.  You can also
find the specifics about bandwidth, etc. on those pages.  This is the
direction we'd like to see Unidata sites heading.

One other thing I'll mention is that you consider installing one of the AMP
boxes I mentioned in a note to our relay nodes.   This box will monitor
your Internet connectivity and perhaps provide you with documentation for
congestion problems as they begin to arise.

I'll append a copy of that message to this one.  It has a URL for more info
about the AMP option.  You can contact Todd Hansen if you have questions
about it.  His email address is in the message I'm attaching.

Please let me know if you need more information.   We really want to help
our sites improve their connectivity.

-- Ben

--On Wednesday, November 10, 1999, 1:36 PM -0700 Steve Chiswell
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Ben,
>
> I thought you might be able to better provide Dave with
> bandwith numbers for other universities.
>
> Thanks,
> Chiz

Hello to all our IDD relay site representatives,

The National Laboratory for Applied Network Research (NLANR) has developed
a system for monitoring network performance.  It's called the Active
Measurement Program (AMP) and they are looking for additional sites to
install the equipment and collaborate.  Because of the increasing network
demands of the IDD -- especially at relay nodes, we thought some of you
might want to participate in AMP.

In the attached message, Todd Hansen points out a Web site where you can
get more information regarding AMP and can apply to become a node.  Please
contact Todd if you have any additional questions regarding AMP.

-- Ben Domenico
    Unidata Deputy Director
    address@hidden