Re: PPBB,PPDD groups for Europe/Scandinavia (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:34:04 -0600 (MDT)
From: Peter Neilley <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: Re: PPBB,PPDD groups for Europe/Scandinavia

> Could someone that is saving the raw upper air files check to see
> if you are getting the PPBB and PPDD groups for Europe
> and Scandinavia..particularly station 02185 (Sweden).
> This data is critical for us.  I have the standard pqact
> entry for raw  upperair that came with the LDM software:
>
> DDS|IDS ^U[ABDEFGHIJKLMPQRSTXZ].... .... ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])
>         STDIOFILE       data/upperair/(\1:yyyy)(\1:mm)\1\2_upa.wmo

I checked our database on no PPBB or PPDD groups for this station. In
the past I have found that NCEP does not necessarily pass on all of the
data it gets from the GTS onto the IDS.  For example, in 1993 we
found that NCEP was not transmitting the Hong Kong sounding on the
IDS for some reason.  Linda Miller at Unidata was instrumental in
working with NCEP to get that sounding added.  The reason given for
why the Hong Kong sounding was not on the IDS was something like,
"Well, nobody ever asked for it before.".  That response was eye
opening.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this NCEP filtering of the GTS data explains
your missing data.  In the Hong Kong case, it was all of that stations
data, not just some parts.  I don't know if the filters they have
in place filter by station id, WMO bulletin, report type of what.
But, keep this filtering in mind as you try to track down missing
data from the IDS.

Peter Neilley, NCAR/RAP
address@hidden
303-497-8446