19991007: followup on MRF grids (2 vs 3)

Jim,

Both grid 2 and 3 are available on NMC2 from 0-168 hours,
and just grid 2 thereafter. Note also, that due to the fire
on the Cray at NCEP, the current run for today was through 240 hours
rather than 384 hours.

As you mention, the file naming changes for the grid 2 files from NCEP
at the 184 hour point. Where from 0-168 they have the .2 identifier
and thereafter it is omitted.

The .2 files were tagged as originating from the ensemble MRF runs,
which hasn't been available since the fire- and I don't see those
files in the OSO ftp directory at:
ftp://140.90.6.103/ncepb/mrf/mrf.991007/

If you see the .2 files somewhere else today, then please let me know and
I can contact NCEP to see why they aren't getting posted.

I tried to outline the MRF grid 2 vs 3 file naming at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/ncep_idd/mrf_files.html

For 0-168 grid 2, you should see the headers:
/public/ncepb/mrf/ens/YYMMDD/drfmr.THHZ.PGrbFff.2

then for 184-384:
/public/ncepb/mrf/mrf.YYMMDD/drfmr.THHZ.PGrbFff

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support