Re: 19990923: LDM feed at Valparaiso U.

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Jon Schrage wrote:

> > I agree with you this has been a problem for a long time. Since, I believe
> > the main source of the problem is you network connection/banwidth.  The
> > first thing is either to contact your network folks or ISP about the poor
> > reception rate.  Also, I would only request the data that you really need.
>

> Would requesting only a subset of the products really help, since the
> bottleneck is not in our building but rather in the T1 line leading off
> campus?  I mean, it would reduce the overall burden of the system, but it
> isn't a very big change compared to the total network usage on the T1...

Jon,

Yep, a subset will keep you from falling behind and loosing the
"important" data. After one falls behind an hour the LDM skips products in
the queue. Also, if you only request a subset then the ldm can take more
tries to get the products. If you are not using the HDS model data, make a
filter to eliminate it. The model data is large.

> Another question.  I would find it extremely difficult to believe that
> Valpo is the only program that has had this problem (i.e., terrible
> network connectivity due to narrow bandwidth off campus).  How have other
> schools dealt with this?  Is there some standard solution (such as getting
> an ISP or something like that)?

Other sites have worked with their network people or ISPs to get the
service/bandwidth that they need. If one keeps requesting/sending trouble
tickets the service will improve. The squeeky wheel approach seems to
work. I can't  really do anything because I'm not a customer.  When the
problem is the worst contact the people and then demostrate the problem.

Robb...