Intel Solaris vs Solaris 2.X (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:56:38 -0400
From: Rahe Peter J MSgt AFIT/ENP <address@hidden>
To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
Subject: Intel Solaris vs Solaris 2.X

We are in the planning stages to upgrade our lab and are toying with the
idea of moving from Sun SPARCs (2s and 20s)running Solaris 2.6 to PCs
running Solaris X86 (budgetary restrictions make this a realistic
possibility).  My concern is that I won't be able to upgrade all at once, so
will be running both platforms simultaneously.  I know that the Unidata
packages are supoorted on both platforms, but am unsure as to whether my
current server (Ultra 2) will be able to serve the Intel machines, or will I
need a separate server and software compiled on X86 for those.

Peter J. Rahe
Superintendent, Meteorology Lab Operations
Air Force Institute of Technology
Wright-Patterson AFB OH
*address@hidden or address@hidden
*DSN 785-3636 x4646  COMM (937) 255-3636 x4646
Fax:  DSN 785-2921    COMM (937) 255-2921