Re: McIDAS Data (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:09:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Jennie L. Moody" <address@hidden>
To: "Robert R. Mullenax" <address@hidden>,
    Michael W Dross <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: McIDAS Data

In the appended messages, Mike Dross has raised the question of
access to more satellite imagery (more frequent, and higher resolution
imagery) potentially available to the user community via NOAAPORT.

I image that Unidata may respond to this question also, however,
I wanted to simply say that I am glad to see this kind of opinion
(for access to more and better satellite imagery) expressed.  And I
wanted to note that this is a subject I anticipate us addressing at
our next User's Committee Meeting at Unidata, September 30th and October 1st.

I would like to point out that we have had discussions about these
data (NOAAport GINI) previously, as well as other discussions about increasing
access to more frequent satellite data or alternately, more channels of
satellite data.  Robert raises the issue of data overload (which is something
we have always had to consider with the datastreams, and tradeoffs have
to be made regarding frequency/versus number of channels, etc).  However,
in addition to these concerns, the GINI format is a remapped image which
represents a significant loss of information content for those of us in the
community who work with satellite imagery in a quantitative way.  So I do
not think its as simple as:

"replacing the MCIDAS satellite imagery with
  the GINI NOAAPORT data"

Nevertheless, I am glad to hear these opinions being expressed
as we continue to discuss options and explore opportunities for
increased access to higher resolution satellite imagery (both
spatial and temporal) within the User Community.

Jennie Moody
Unidata User's Committee Chair

--

                    Jennie Lynne Moody, Ph.D.
                  Research Associate Professor

Department of Environmental Sciences       Ph: (804) 924-0592
University of Virginia                         (804) 924-0569
351 Clark Hall                             address@hidden
Charlottesville, VA  22903                 FAX:(804) 982-2300

  UVA Weather Page--> http://windfall.evsc.virginia.edu/~mcuser