Re: McIDAS Data (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:18:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: McIDAS Data

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Robert Mullenax wrote:

> The problem I see is that those of us with only T1 conections
> (we can't be the only ones) would be overloaded with the amount of
> data.  1km imagery every 15 minutes would be great, but I don't
> believe we can handle it.  It took three years to get upgraded
> to a T1, I shudder to think about how long it would take to
> convince the various entities to upgrade us to a T3,
>
> Robert Mullenax

While that's true, I don't think we should deny those the opportunity who
have the bandwidth to do it, either. I can't get the NCEP feed right now
because of that reason, yet I would hate to see it go just because I
couldn't get it due to bandwidth restrictions. Besides, you can also use
it as a "Joneses" push: Look what they have, for free, just because they
have more bandwidth! I can't imagine what benefits you would reap by
having those satellite images with that spatial and temporal resolution.

Gilbert

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
Work phone: 815-753-5492                                                ***