Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:01:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Wojtowicz <address@hidden>
To: Robb Kambic <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Linux LDM

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Robb Kambic wrote:

> David,
>
> Are you still running the LDM with mmap files so _MAPRGNS was
> defined for  Linux?  I have a site with a 650megabyte queue that
> having a problem. The queue seems to grow even though NOGROW was set.
> Eventually the machine runs out of disk space.  I'm trying to determine if
> the problem is the site's configuration or it's the _MAPRGNS flag being
> set?  What's your experiences?

Hi Robb,

No, I'm not seeing any queue growth on Linux with _MAPRGNS set.
The actual size of the queue file is slightly larger than is
specified in ldmadmin, but that seems to be a rounding off kind
of thing.  They don't seem to be growing during operation.
I checked the queue size on the NMC2 ingest machine which
has been running for over a month without a ldm restart and
then remade the queue.  It is the same size after remaking
as before, so it had not grown any during a long period of
operation.  That is a RH6.0 machine with a ~800MB queue.

I also checked our main ldm machine running 5.3 with a ~300MB
queue and the same is true there, though it gets restarted
more frequently.   So, I'd say, no, we're not seeing any
queue growth.

Note...I'm still using a pre-release version of 5.0.8 with my own mods to
define _MAPRGNS...had not gotten around to installing the final one yet so
there may be a difference there.  You might ask Gilbert Sebenste.
I helped him install the new 5.0.8 on both of his Linux boxes last
week.

--david

 David Wojtowicz, Research Programmer/Systems Manager
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences Computer Services
 email: address@hidden  phone: (217)333-8390