Re: 19990802: IDD feed site request from Plymouth State

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Jim,

I can understand your frustration about the reliability of the data. But,
I can't say I understand your comments about the UIUC and UMICH.  Both
sites have been in contact with UPC and both sites are working on
site/network type of problems. The problem is with the network around the
Chicago area, not the sites.  Also, you state that traceroute looks good
to both these sites, that may be. But traceroute are one shot deals, they
can be passed through without delay on a network that is flaky or
congested. It is hard to get a true reading of the network but I have
doing a "ldmping -i 5 -h <host>" and watching the results for hours. The
time should be in the 100th of a second, most likely you will see
fluxuation from 100th to 300-600 seconds. This causes problems especially
with larger products because broken connections means the complete
product needs to be resent.  For real time data, run the ldmprods script.
There's a man page on it.

For your request for a new feeder site, the NE has the worst network
reliability in the US. I suggest you try ldmpings/traceroutes to other
sites in the late afternoon. You can use the topo chart at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/status/idd/fosTopo.html
ideas.  Don't pick 1st tier sites and sites that are overloaded.

Robb...