LDM: UIUC network flakiness continues (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 00:41:15 -0500
From: David Wojtowicz <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: LDM: UIUC network flakiness continues

Our campus backbone continues to flicker on and off like an
old flourecent light bulb that needs replacing.   It'll come
back for a few hours and then start in again.  So until further
notice, our downstream IDD sites should continue to look to
their backups.

The following is the official status log of the trouble,
which only highlights the more significant periods of flakiness.
Curiously uninformative...

>23:45 08/03/1999 Problems returned - technicians back at it.
>will continue updating when new info is known.
>network connections appear to be going up and down again.
>continue saving work often.
>23:05 08/03/1999 Problems have stabilized for the time being.
>
>21:00 08/03/1999
>We have been having problems once again this evening
>affecting all of campus connectivity.  As stated in previous updates,
>save work often.
>
>13:00 08/03/1999
>It appears that the network has stabilized at the moment.
>A few networks are still down, but the majority is up.
>Technicians are still looking into the problem.
>Remember to work with caution.
>

>12:20 08/03/1999
>Still having the major campus backbone outage/slowdown:
>no new info has been provided at this time.
>
>08/03/1999  11:20AM
>Major campus backbone outage:
>campus backbone network unstable at this time, work with caution.
>
>Most, if not all, network connections failing.
>Technicians working on the problem - most connections already coming back....
>This is sporadic, save work often.
>
>posted 08/03/1999 11:20 llh
 David Wojtowicz, Systems Manager
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences Computer Services
 email: address@hidden  phone: (217)333-8390