Re: 19990801: No McIDAS AREA files (cont.) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:56:38 -0500
From: Chad Johnson <address@hidden>
To: "Alaric S. Haag" <address@hidden>
    "Chad W. Johnson" <address@hidden>,
    address@hidden, address@hidden,
    address@hidden
Subject: Re: 19990801: No McIDAS AREA files (cont.)

"Alaric S. Haag" wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Chad Johnson wrote:
>
> >Unidata Support wrote:
> >>
> >> As you can see, we got two East IRs and one West one.  The strange thing
> >> that I am seeing is that a notifyme from Unidata to unidata.ssec.wisc.edu
> >> times out while trying to make a connection.
> >
> >Tom,
> >
> >In our ldmd logs I am seeing many gethostbyaddr failures and lookup timeout
> >failures. The exact
> >errors look like.
> >
> >Aug 02 14:08:24 unidata rpc.ldmd[8929]: gethostbyaddr: failed for
> >130.39.129.3
> >Aug 02 14:08:24 unidata rpc.ldmd[8929]: Denying connection from 130.39.129.3
> >
> >The feeds effected appear to be...
> >
> >128.174.80.44
> >128.95.89.2
> >141.213.23.92
> >198.115.158.1
> >128.118.28.2
> >130.39.129.3
> >
> >Our Technical Computing staff is looking into the problem. Please bear with
> >us.
> >
> >-Chad
>
> Folks,
>
> Once again, we (sirocco.lsu, i.e. 130.39.129.3) seem to be part of the
> problem. I'm still mystified. The logs are showing constant connection
> time-outs to unidata, but when I restart the feed, it makes the
> connection OK. I'll dig a bit deeper...

OK, now _I've_ restarted our LDM here and it looks like connections from feed
sites are getting
through and products are getting broadcasted. However, nslookup's continue to
fail to 130.39.129.3
and other IP addresses. Now I'm really confused. Why would restarting the LDM
fix (if only
temporarily) the gethostbyaddr problem? I will continue to monitor the feed and
see if we start
running into the same problem - similar to yesterday after restarting the LDM.

We are using LDM 5.0.8 with Solaris 7 on a Sparc platform.

-Chad

--
Chad W. Johnson                           E-mail: address@hidden
Programmer/Meteorologist                  Voice: (608) 265-5292