19990722: Unidata-Wisconsin (MCIDAS) products not being received

>From: McIDAS <address@hidden>

Karli,

>Since July 15th, we have stopped receiving feeds for all of our GOES 8
>and 9 satellite images as well as other images.  The orginal problem was
>that our primary feed site was unreachable for some reason.  However, we
>still don't get updated feeds, and I am not sure what the problem is
>now.  After we switched to our secondary server, ldm started receiving
>information, mostly text, as usual.

OK.

>However, the new images are not
>being updated in the routing table.  Only the Radar and NLDN feeds are
>coming in.

Have you made sure that you are requesting MCIDAS products from the
upstream site?

>Furthermore, the only AREA files being updated in the
>~/mcidasd directory are AREA03*-AREA10*,

These are the NIDS radar images.

>the rest (AREA00-AREA02)
>aren't, as if ldm weren't saving the files.

The first question is whether you are actually receiving the files.

>I don't know if they are
>being received or not, but in the following watch, inlcuded in this
>message, shows some 21K files which may be the files in question. I have
>tried everything I can to fix this problem, but I am not even sure what
>the cause of the problem is.

OK.  We will get to the bottom of this.

>If you could help us, we will greatly
>appreciate it.

That is what we are here for.

>If necessary, we will grant you access to our server.

This would be very useful.  I would need the logins as 'ldm' and 'mcidas'.
If there is something seriously wrong with the LDM installation, I may
need root, but we can get to that later.

>P.S. Included are a copy of the watch segment, and of the routing table.
>watch excerpt of 5:08 AST:
> ---------------
>
>ldm@breeze 27% watch
>(Type ^D or ^C when finished)
>Jul 21 21:08:52 pqutil:    23996 19990721200839.905     HDS 230  YTRB70
>KWBE 211800 /mETA30
>Jul 21 21:08:53 pqutil:    23996 19990721200839.951     HDS 231  YTRB30
>KWBE 211800 /mETA30
>Jul 21 21:08:54 pqutil:     1008 19990721200839.968 IDS|DDPLUS 233
>RWUS32 KELP 212008 /pFFSELP
>Jul 21 21:08:54 pqutil:     8702 19990721200839.975     HDS 232  AGUS41
>KAKQ 212006

None of the products from the 'ldmadmin watch' are MCIDAS imagery.

> ---------------
>routing table: (as of 99203; 99195 was July 15th.)

> ---------------
>ROUTE

The routing table will not get updated if there are no images coming in.

The first thing to check is the request line in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.
You should be requesting something like:

UNIDATA|WSI

UNIDATA is the combination of DDPLUS|IDS|HRS|MCIDAS.  If your request does
not include UNIDATA or MCIDAS, then you are not requesting that the
imagery be sent.

If your ldmd.conf file does have a request for the MCIDAS products, then
it is very possible that your upstream feeder has only allowed you to
get other things.  You would be able to tell this if you saw a RECLASS
notification in your ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log file just after you start/restart
your LDM.

If you are requesting the data, and your upstream feed site is configured
to send the data, then there is some other problem that I would have to
have access to your machine to troubleshoot.

Tom Yoksas