19990708: your LDM is not receiving anything but MCIDAS stream? (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Bill,

>Tom -- I had a disk fill up and that may have done something but I am still
>getting IDD data on snow and still getting it on a local machine downstream
>from snow (nrcc2).

Hmm...  I wonder why my notifyme from halo only showed MCIDAS products
from your queue.

>I will reset the ldm anyway.

I just did a notifyme from a Unidata machine to snow and see lots of
non-MCIDAS products.  The problem must be at CCNY.  Sorry that I
caused you extra work.

>I also noticed in the logs lots of denyed connections from
>kingkong.sci.ccny.cuny.edu.  The authorized host at ccny is
>halo.sci.ccny.cuny.edu.  That is the machine you did the notifyme from.
>Should I change it to kingkong?

No.  What was going on is this.  The person at CCNY that I am helping was
trying to get a machine named kingkong setup as a test.  He doesn't know
much about the LDM (or McIDAS), so I guess that he didn't understand that
your LDM allows only certain machines to get data.  The machine to feed
is halo and it is getting MCIDAS products.

># nslookup halo.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
>Server:  CUDNS.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
>Address:  132.236.56.250
>
>Name:    halo.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
>Address:  134.74.52.189
>
># nslookup kingkong.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
>Server:  CUDNS.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
>Address:  132.236.56.250
>
>Name:    kingkong.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
>Address:  134.74.64.201

We should forget about kingkong.  In trying to help out, I found that this
machine did not even have compilers installed on it, so building McIDAS
went nowhere.  I think that the reason that the LDM was running was that
they got a binary distribution.

Thanks for your quick help!

Tom

>From address@hidden  Thu Jul  8 17:45:52 1999

Bill,

After playing around on the CCNY machine some more, I noticed the reclass
message from notifyme:

halo{ldm}% notifyme -vxl- -h snow.cit.cornell.edu
Jul 08 23:19:31 notifyme[14162]: Starting Up: snow.cit.cornell.edu:
19990708231931.701 TS_ENDT {{ANY,  ".*"}}
        NOTIFYME(snow.cit.cornell.edu) returns RECLASS
                                                ^________ recalls to:

Jul 08 23:19:31 notifyme[14162]: NOTIFYME(snow.cit.cornell.edu): reclass:
19990708231931.701 TS_ENDT {{MCIDAS,  ".*"}}

This looks to me like snow is only allowing halo to request MCIDAS products
and nothing else.  Can you check this out and change it to everything?

Again, thanks for your help!

Tom

>From address@hidden  Thu Jul  8 18:02:01 1999

Tom -- Yep.  I had the following in the ldmd.conf:

allow   UNIDATA|FSL2    ^cunim\.sci\.ccny\.cuny\.edu$
allow   MCIDAS          ^halo-imas\.scitone\.ccny\.cuny\.edu$

Not sure how they have their networking setup:

Name:    cunim.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Address:  134.74.64.10

Name:    halo-imas.scitone.ccny.cuny.edu
Address:  198.116.96.25

Name:    halo.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Address:  134.74.52.189

But looking at the logs:

Jul 08 23:42:27 snow halo-imas[29058]: Connection from
halo-imas.scitone.ccny.cuny.edu
Jul 08 23:42:27 snow halo-imas(noti)[29058]: topo:
halo-imas.scitone.ccny.cuny.edu MCIDAS
... and a bunch of denyed connections from kingkong...

So, I have changed the halo-imas to be ANY and added ANY halo.sci...

--Bill