Re: IDD aggregate data volume (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:53:26 -0600 (MDT)
From: Robb Kambic <address@hidden>
To: Russ Rew <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: IDD aggregate data volume

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Russ Rew wrote:

> Hi Robb,
>
> In looking at Dave's recent presentations, he says the IDD delivers an
> aggregate of 150 GBytes/day to all IDD sites.  But when I look at your
> charts, that seems to be a number created by summing up the data
> volumes for sites that report statistics, which is a little less than
> half of all sites (72 out of 151 for FOS, for example).
>
> >From this, can I conclude that the IDD is actually delivering
> something more like 300 Gbytes/day aggregate?  Or have you already
> taken into account the reporting ratio in calculating the aggregate
> daily data in your "feed product bytes" chart at

Russ,

At the time of the report for Dave's presentation, the total were ~ 140
Gbytes/day and we figured another 10% for sites not reporting stats.
Lately, many UCAR sites are sending in stats which has pushed the total
over 150 Gbytes. Also some of the UCAR sites are receiving ~140 Nexrad
radars which is pushing the total up more. Most of the IDD sites are
receiving NOAAport and McIDAS, ... that totals up to about a Gbyte per
site.  Using 150 sites, that equals 150 Gbytes. About 25 sites receive 1-3
radars, 20 Megabytes/radar equals 1-2 Gbytes more. Including NCEP, about
25 Gbytes for those sites.  If you can folow my rational, the new total
would be closer to 175-180 Gbytes per day.  Hope this helps. It will be
nice when I have some time to spend on the stats to make them more
accurate.

Robb...