Are we having fun yet? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:03:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
    Bill Finucane <address@hidden>,
    Mike Saari <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
    Mike Falout <address@hidden>, Mike Bartosz <address@hidden>,
    Mark Russo <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
    address@hidden, address@hidden,
    Daniel Vietor <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Subject: Are we having fun yet?

Hi.

Well, let's just say that although I don't perceive Mondays as bad, this
one is. We've got the system back up, but we have discovered back doors
that a hacker, who got into this machine last night, left open for
himself. He destroyed parts of our operating system, but I was online and
stopped him from doing extreme damage. However, for those of you who have
accounts here, you won't be able to log in until we re-load the OS.

Also, LDM users: fail over to your alternate sites. We will be down for at
least a few days, making sure no one gets in through a backdoor. Finally,
if you need DDPLUS/IDS, weather3.admin.niu.edu is open for business, for
those who have access to weather.amdin.niu.edu.

Take care, and sorry for the inconvenience. We'll be back.

Gilbert

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
Work phone: 815-753-5492                                                ***