19990520: New airport

John,

The KATT test message was received on NOAAport

SAUS80 KWBC 202029^M^M
METAR^M^M
KATT 202023Z TEST...TEST...TEST...TEST...TEST...TEST=

and the closure message was included in the KAUS report:

KAUS 201853Z 14010KT 10SM BKN042 28/19 A2999 RMK AO2 SLP146 b05/23^M^M
     AT 05Z WITH CLOSURE OF MUELLER THIS SITE'S UNAUGMENTED OBS^M^M
     WILL BE UNDER HEADER: SATMTRATT/WMO ID:KATT..AUSTIN CITY^M^M
     ASOSC P=

We have discussed a station data base with time periods of operation
so that an appropriate station table could be generated for the
time period in question, such as is needed with case studies
and archived data. Data code changes though time have also occurred
which can create problems when using data decoders maintained for
the evolution of realtime data. Some data archives thus store the
decoded data with station location info rather than raw data which then
needs the accompanying station locations.

We are currently pursuing the access to archived data for universities and
will have to address these issues.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support