Re: survey results....LDM data recovery (part 1) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 12:02:58 -0600 (MDT)
From: Peter Neilley <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: Re: survey results....LDM data recovery  (part 1)

>  It was suggested that more one top tier IDD site implement such a
> recovery archive (preferably the exact same way for consistency).
> This is necessary because here at UIUC, we're not always up
> %100 of the time (as Gilbert soooo often reminds me :-)   So when
> we go down and the sites below us lose data, they can have
> someplace else to recover it from since we won't have it.

This is indeed what we are currently setting up here at NCAR with
some NSF funding.  Our IITA server (which most sites use as a
failover when the top-tier site thelma is down) will collect and
store a recent archive of feedtype files, in nearly the same manner.
(Perhaps we should do it exactly the same manner, I'll contact
David to discuss this).  We planned to make this archive available
via a web/ftp interface.  Details will follow

Peter Neilley, NCAR/RAP
address@hidden
303-497-8446