19990504: chinook request from aldehyde.sprl.umich.edu (cont.)

>From: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>

Clint,

>I don't have a clue what's going on with our request.  I haven't made any
>changes in a long time.  Following your advice long ago, I split off the
>McIDAS
>request from my global request by requesting "ANY-MCIDAS" from the fully
>qualified domain name and requesting "MCIDAS" from the IP number of the same
>machine.

After I read this, I did the right thing by doing a notifyme to your
machine asking to see all of the products you have received in the
FSL2 stream in the past hour:

notifyme -vxl- -h chinook.unl.edu -f FSL2 -o 3600

I did, indeed, see you receive both hourly summary and 6-minute
wind profiler from aldehyde.  I next did a notifyme to Alan Anderson's
machine, hobbes.stcloudstate.edu, and I saw it receive FLS2 products
from you.  I then checked to make sure that waldo, his new Solaris x86
machine, was getting FSL2 products from hobbes; it was.  Finally, I
checked to make sure that those products were getting decoded into
McIDAS MD files; they are.  I found a mistake in Alan's pqact.conf
file (a mistake that I made, by the way), that may have been the culprit.
I had corrected this before doing the notifyme invocations that I list
above.

>I also have a separate request for the lightning data from striker.

I see that.

>Other than that, I have never separated out the various feedtypes.

OK.  My mistake.  I am not functioning on all cylinders...

>I do see the request in my log files as having that list with the feedtypes
>separated out and with the strange hex code at the end.

This must be some kind of an artifact.  chinook is getting the data just
fine.

>I've attached my ldmd.conf files from chinook and the results of grepping for
>run_requester in my logs.

Thanks.  I will delete it from this reply, but I did look at it.

One thing.  I believe that Alan will eventually want to receive all
data directly on his new machine, waldo.stcloudstate.edu.  This will
mean that you will have to add waldo to your list of machines allowed
to request data.  Also, I notice that you have dual entries for
hobbes:  one is the new designation (hobbes.stcloudstate.edu) while the
other is its old (hobbes.stcloud.msus.edu).  I think that you can
safely remove the latter from your list.

>Yes, I had seen Dave's e-mail.  It was quite a shock to me.  Glenn will be
>sorely missed by the Unidata community.

I agree.  Glenn was a unique person.  He and I had many a late night
chat in my office about everything/anything under the sun.  I will miss
Glenn's humor and outlook on life.

>Please pass my condolences to all the staff at Unidata and his family.

Will do.

Thanks for the help...

Tom