[GEMPAK #RFL-766457]: gempak 7.2.1 installation problem

Hi,

First, apologies for our very slow reply to your inquiry.

Just so you know, Unidata has been transitioning GEMPAK to community
support for the past few years because the primary developers of
GEMPAK/NAWIPS, NOAA/NCEP announced that they would not be issuing new
GEMPAK updates as they were transitioning to use of AWIPS.  On top of
this, we lost our GEMPAK developer some time ago (tragic accident), and,
given the direction that has taken, decided to not fill the vacancy left
by his loss.

re:
> I am following up regarding the issues I am running into building Gempak on
> my personal machine. Is there any guidance you can offer?

re:
> > I am having some difficulties building gempak 7.5.1 on my MacOs (Big Sur)
> > machine.
> >
> > The problems appear to be related to some missing libraries in ../os/bin
> > and ../os/lib directories of GEMPAK7.

Those libraries would have to be built as part of the GEMPAK 'make' process.
If they are missing, the GEMPAK make log file should have relevant messages
as to why they were not built.

re:
> > I have tried a number of ways to
> > resolve this issue but I have not been able to work out how to fix it. I
> > have made sure xcode, MacPorts and OpenMotif are all installed correctly
> > and my NAWIPS path appears to be correct, and the gfortran compiler appears
> > to be working correctly. It seems that the nexr2rhi.a and gn.a libraries
> > are missing. I was wondering whether you could provide me some assistance?

I will try, but I must warn you that I am not a GEMPAK expert.

re:
> > I have included my make.out file from the installation attempt (attached)
> > and copied the end of the file below. I have also attached my Gemenvironmen
> > and Gemenviron.profile files I am using.

Your original email did not contain the make.out log file (I just checked the
original email received, and the file was not attached).

re:
> > End of make.out:
> >
> > 3 warnings and 3 errors generated.
> > make[6]: ***
> > [/Users/luke/gempak/GEMPAK7/os/darwin/lib/nexr2rhi.a(rnex2.o)] Error 1
> > -n making programs_gf in
> > /Users/luke/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/source/programs/upc/programs/gpvad
> > make[6]: *** No rule to make target
> > `/Users/luke/gempak/GEMPAK7/os/darwin/lib/gn.a', needed by `gpvad_gf'.
> > Stop.
> > -n making programs_gf in
> > /Users/luke/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/source/programs/upc/programs/gpnids
> > make[6]: *** No rule to make target
> > `/Users/luke/gempak/GEMPAK7/os/darwin/lib/gn.a', needed by `gpnids_gf'.
> > Stop.
> > -n making programs_gf in
> > /Users/luke/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/source/programs/dc
> > Nothing to make for programs_nc in decoders
> > -n making programs_gf in
> > /Users/luke/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/maps/programs
> > Nothing to make for programs_gf in gui
> > -n making programs_gf in
> > /Users/luke/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/utilities
> > Nothing to make for programs_gf in utilities
These messages suggest that the make file in the directories indicated
were not created during the initial portion of the build process.
The full make.out file may (should) contain enough information to
figure out why this step failed.

re:
> > Any help would be very much appreciated!

Again, apologies for our very slow reply.

Given our greatly reduced ability to support GEMPAK, your best course
of action may be to send an email to the address@hidden
email list as there may be one or more users that has built GEMPAK
on the same platform as you.

If you are not already subscribed to the 'gembud' email list, you
can (un)subscribe online from the following URL: