[GEMPAK #QJS-824975]: Satellite question

Hi,

re:
> Hi, I am going to be doing a presentation and need to get some satellite
> data included.  Unfortunately our local storage for the archived event
> did not capture things correctly.  GEMPAK is not able to read .nc files
> generated from the CLASS archive data is it?

I believe that the CLASS GOES-16/17 imagery are the ones that are distributed
in the GOES ReBroadcast (GRB).  These images are not supported in GEMPAK.

re:
> I do have the latest
> GEMPAK installed and saw the functionality for GOES 16 in documentation,
> but was not sure if that was just for a real time data stream.

As you have noted, the latest version of GEMPAK has support for using
the GOES-16/17 satellite imagery that is distributed as tiles in the NOAAPort
SBN and relayed in the Unidata IDD in the NIMAGE datastream, but it
will work for the same imagery (full scenes reconstituted from the tiles
sent in the NOAAPort SBN) from other sources; there is nothing special
about the images we are sending in the NIMAGE IDD datastream other than
they are for full scenes created by stitching together the tiles sent in
NOAAPort..  The GEMPAK support for the images does have some problems
(problems reported by end-users mainly when overlaying some fields on
top of the images), but they are usable in a lot of uses.

re:
> Thanks so much!

We maintain a 30 day "rolling archive" of the images that are distributed
in the NIMAGE IDD datastream (along with the same for GRB imagery).  How
old are the imagery that you need?  I ask because it is possible that
someone in the Unidata community might have a local archive of the
images.

Ticket ID: QJS-824975
Department: Support GEMPAK