[GEMPAK #YRS-108592]: COMPILE ERROR GEMPAK ON MACBook Pro

Hi,

re:
> Could someone help me with a Gempak compiler issue?
>
> I have downloaded NetCDF with brew and Macports and linked the NetCDF
> directory using export.  Also, I downloaded Fortran-NetCDF and GCC-9
> using MacPorts. I  attached the make.out for you to review.

GEMPAK is distributed with source for the netCDF distribution, and its
make files are setup to use the netCDF library that is built as part
of the distribution, not one that is installed externally.

A quick look at the make.out file you attached shows that the build
of the netCDF library failed with:

mv -f .deps/libnetcdf4_la-nc4dispatch.Tpo .deps/libnetcdf4_la-nc4dispatch.Plo
/bin/sh ../libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..
-I../include    -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran
-I/Users/traviswashington/Desktop/gempak/GEMPAK7/os/darwin/include  -O
-I../libsrc -MT libnetcdf4_la-nc4attr.lo -MD -MP -MF
.deps/libnetcdf4_la-nc4attr.Tpo -c -o libnetcdf4_la-nc4attr.lo `test -f
'nc4attr.c' || echo './'`nc4attr.c
libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../include -DNDEBUG
-Df2cFortran -I/Users/traviswashington/Desktop/gempak/GEMPAK7/os/darwin/include
-O -I../libsrc -MT libnetcdf4_la-nc4attr.lo -MD -MP -MF
.deps/libnetcdf4_la-nc4attr.Tpo -c nc4attr.c  -fno-common -DPIC -o
.libs/libnetcdf4_la-nc4attr.o
In file included from ../include/hdf5.h:24,
                 from ../include/nc4internal.h:18,
                 from nc4attr.c:15:
../include/H5public.h:37:10: fatal error: features.h: No such file or directory
   37 | #include <features.h>           /*for setting POSIX, BSD, etc.
compatibility */
compilation terminated.
make[6]: *** [libnetcdf4_la-nc4attr.lo] Error 1
make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

A Google search using 'features.h not found mac' as a search key returns
several pages that discuss this problem.  The most promising of the links
I looked at suggest a solution that includes command line tools using
Xcode and using the C compiler that gets installed using Xcode.

Ticket ID: YRS-108592
Department: Support GEMPAK