[LDM #MKT-798449]: GOES 16/17 for Gempak

Hi Clint,

I am not sure how/why your reply took so long for me to see in our inquiry
tracking system... weird!

re:
> Not slow at all -- same-day service works for me. I thought the pattern
> wasn't going to
> work, but I wasn't even sure if I was seeing the stitched-together files.
> I'll try
> working through this over the next couple days to see if I can get the data
> filed
> correctly, at least. Then I can worry about using it in Gempak.

OK, sounds good.

re:
> Are you going to Boston for AMS? I'm headed out tomorrow for a quick visit
> with my
> family in Delaware then up to Boston for the student conference over the
> weekend and
> AMS next week.

Well, I did not go to AMS this year.  It is a good thing that I had not signed
up
to go/booked tickets and a room since I hurt my right knee on New Years Eve day,
and I was unable to straighten or put full weight on the knee for almost a week.
In fact, it took a visit to an orthopedic surgeon and a shot of cortisone (with
anesthetic) go allow me to start moving around near-normally again.  I am doing
a lot better, but the doctor pointed out that X-rays taken during my visit a
week ago yesterday show a continued deterioration of both of my knees, and his
long term prognosis was that I should be thinking about full knee replacements
sometime in my future :-(  We'll see...

By the way, I will be sending an announcement to the community next week about
a revamping of the IDD UNIWISC feed.  One of the main reasons for the revamp
is the scheduled turn off of GOES-15 on January 31.  When GOES-15 is turned
off, there will be no more GINI imagery sent in NOAAPort, so those sectors
will disappear from the NIMAGE feed.  In addition, the addition of support
for GOES-16/17 imagery in GEMPAK appears to be incomplete (not working
entirely correctly), and there is nobody here with GEMPAK experience to
troubleshoot the problem (I am the closest person to the issue, and my
understanding of GEMPAK is cursory at best).

I have put together a web page that shows the image sectors that will be
available in the revamped UNIWISC feed:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/uniwisc_new.html

This page is not linked to the Unidata website, so you can't get to the
URL from browsing.  I need to finish this page as part of the UNIWISC
revamp and use it in replacement of the existing UNIWISC page:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/uniwisc.html

The good thing about the images that will be available in the revamped
UNIWISC feed is that they _do_ work correctly in GEMPAK, so their
existence should help the Unidata GEMPAK community be able to use
GOES-16/17 imagery.

Ticket ID: MKT-798449
Department: Support GEMPAK