[GEMPAK #ROY-668075]: Question regarding relative vorticity calculation in GEMPAK

If the grib2 file is not too large, could you send it my way (
address@hidden) or post a download link?

I'd like to ingest it into AWIPS EDEX and see about scripting GEMPAK to
remotely access it as well.

Michael James
Unidata Program Center
Boulder, CO

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 10:30 AM, ashwin .D <address@hidden
> wrote:

> New Client Reply: Question regarding relative vorticity calculation in
> GEMPAK
>
> That is great - let me try that and get back to you. I just want the values
> of potential vorticity as I do not need to plot. I am running a test case
> where I need to find out if GEMPAK calculates all the PV values in the
> northern hemisphere to be positive and all PV values in the southern
> hemisphere to be negative. If it does not then I have case for improving
> the GEMPAK algorithm.
>
> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 10:24 AM, ashwin .D <address@hidden.
> > edu
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > New Client Reply: Question regarding relative vorticity calculation in
> > > GEMPAK
> > >
> > > If I convert netCDF to GRIB will that help ? Can GEMPAK read a GRIB
> file
> > > and I can run a PV calculation ?
> >

> > Yes, though GEMPAK does not read grib natively, it can decode grib to
> > GEMPAK grid files. If you can convert the netCDF to grib then run dcgrib2
> > on the resulting file,  you can then use the resulting .gem file in GD
> > programs such as GDDIAG and GDPLOT2
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > ===================
> > Ticket ID: ROY-668075
> > Department: Support GEMPAK
> > NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the
> > Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through
> > the web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in
> > this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.
> >

> Ticket Details
> Ticket ID: ROY-668075
> Department: Support GEMPAK
> Link:  https://andy.unidata.ucar.edu/esupport/staff/index.php?_m=