[GEMPAK #ZTJ-559322]: Gempak Installation/Question

Hi Fabian,

GEMPAK is a set of programs for decoding, processing and analyzing
meteorological data, so it's not simply just display programs, though display
programs are part of GEMPAK.

You ask about connecting to a server, well the way that GEMPAK works is by
accessing decoded files in the $GEMDATA directory hierarchy.  The only database
that GEMPAK has the capabilities to connect with is the AWIPS II EDEX data
server, but this remote access capability is new and requires special build
configuration and access to a remove EDEX server.

If you want to decode files and store them on one server, to access from
another server, you'll need to mount the decoded data directory over nfs and
point $GEMDATA to the appropriate path.

I recommend you look through the GEMPAK documentation at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/ to familiarize yourself
with how GEMPAK works.

Michael James
Unidata Program Center
Boulder, CO

> Hello,
>
> I would like to install GEMPAK on a separate server rather than where
> I have my Database for my weather data. Is it possible to configure
> GEMPAK to point to a different server rather than the server that is
> on to display the data. I am unsure of how it exactly gets utilized and
> what its functionality is for. This is for a refresh project.
>
> I wanted to see if you have a bit more information on this. Is GEMPAK
> only used to display imagery? Is it used to read data from a database
> and display the data? Can I set up a GEMPAK server and the data/imagery
> that I want displayed be on a different server?
>
> Thank you so much for your help!

Ticket ID: ZTJ-559322
Department: Support GEMPAK