[GEMPAK #OGN-286449]: Error with NAGRIB/DCGRIB

Thank you for uploading the file. Here is what I learned:

 wgrib anom_R112.grb -V

Undefined parameter table (center 0-0 table 255), using NCEP-opn
rec 1:0:date 0000000000 PRES kpds5=1 kpds6=1 kpds7=0 levels=(0,0) grid=255 sfc
anl:
  PRES=Pressure [Pa]
  timerange 10 P1 0 P2 0 TimeU 2  nx 256 ny 128 GDS grid 0 num_in_ave 0 missing 0
  center 0 subcenter 0 process 0 Table 255 scan: WE:SN winds(N/S)
  latlon: lat  -89.297000 to 89.297000 by 1.406000  nxny 32768
          long 0.000000 to 358.594000 by 1.406000, (256 x 128) scan 64 mode 128
bdsgrid 1
  min/max data 98276.6 101636  num bits 16  BDS_Ref 98276.6  DecScale 0
BinScale -4

Notice the following definitions:

center 0
subcenter 0
process 0
Table 255

Running dcgrib2 I see the following:

dcgrib2 anom.gem < anom_R112.grb
Changing center table to cntrgrib1.tbl
Changing vertical coord table to vcrdgrib1.tbl
Changing WMO parameter table to wmogrib255.tbl

So the sequence of events that dcgrib2 takes is such:

* looks in cntrgrib1.tbl for a line matching center=0, find none
* looks in vcrdgrib1.tbl for a line matching the vertical coordinate (possibly
found, unimportant)
* looks in wmogrib[table#].tbl for grib variable definition and finds no file
wmogrib255.tbl

What I think you should do if you want to decode these files to GEMPAK is
re-encore your grib1 files.

You need both a process ID (which is to be found in wmogrib[table#].tbl, see
wmogrib128.tbl for a template), and you need a center ID that does not conflict
with the existing center IDs found in
https://github.com/Unidata/gempak/blob/master/gempak/tables/grid/cntrgrib1.tbl

Michael James
Unidata Program Center