[GEMPAK #RGI-969779]: Gempak Decoders

Hi Flavio,

I'm sending this as a short guide for adding grids to NMAP2. The "big picture"
is summed up in this article:
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/adding_grids_to_nmap2.html

And thank you for sending along the grib files, that way I can see that dcgrib2
works, and advise on what restore files to copy/edit.  Whatever additions you
make to NMAP2 with these new models I would like to make part of the baseline
GEMPAK release to the benefit of everybody.

ADDING GRIDS TO NMAP2

For Cosmo, I describe here how the NMAP_RESTORE files were chosen and edited.
Because so many parameters are available, so you must determine with GDINFO
what grids exist in the file, then choose from the available NMAP_RESTORE
files, and make appropriate edits to match GLEVEL, GVCORD and GDPFUN for the
new grid.

here is an example:  I started with a single Cosmo grid file, and I know that
there are lots of HYBL level data, but I want to know what is at the surface,
so I run GDINFO atGLEVEL = 0, GLEVEL=2 and GLEVEL=10

1) at GLEVEL = 0:

 GDFILE   = cosmo.gem
 GDATTIM  = all
 GLEVEL   = 0
 GVCORD   = all
 GFUNC    = all
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>

  NUM       TIME1              TIME2           LEVL1 LEVL2  VCORD PARM
  310     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE PRES
  311     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE LSNO
  312     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE CSNO
  313     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE TCLD
  314     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE CLDH
  315     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE CLDM
  316     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE CLDL
  317     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE ALBD
  318     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE SNOR
  319     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE PXXM
  320     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE URELFX
  321     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE VRELFX
  322     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE FXSH
  323     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE FXLH
  324     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE PMSL
  325     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE TMPK
  326     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE SPFH
  327     140514/0000F000                          0         NONE SNIR

2) at GLEVEL = 2

 GDFILE   = cosmo.gem
 GDATTIM  = all
 GLEVEL   = 2
 GVCORD   = all
 GFUNC    = all
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>

  NUM       TIME1              TIME2           LEVL1 LEVL2  VCORD PARM
  292     140514/0000F000                          2         HYBL VVEL
  305     140514/0000F000                          2         HGHT TMPK
  306     140514/0000F000                          2         HGHT DWPK
  307     140514/0000F000                          2         HGHT TMNK
  308     140514/0000F000                          2         HGHT TMXK
  309     140514/0000F000                          2         HGHT RELH

3) at GLEVEL =10

 GDFILE   = cosmo.gem
 GDATTIM  = all
 GLEVEL   = 10
 GVCORD   = all
 GFUNC    = all
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>

  NUM       TIME1              TIME2           LEVL1 LEVL2  VCORD PARM
  244     140514/0000F000                         10         HYBL VVEL
  303     140514/0000F000                         10         HGHT UREL
  304     140514/0000F000                         10         HGHT VREL

So here is what I know now:

available at 10m: (UREL and VREL @10 % HGHT)
available at 2m: TMPK, RELH, MIN/MAX TEMPS, Vertical Velocity)
available at 0m: SPFH, PRES, PMSL, TMPK, ALBD (albedo) and more.

It is from this set of known parameters / levels / vertical coordinates that
you must construct new NMAP_RESTORE files.

You mention SPFH, so I looked for any existing restore files which use SPFH,
and saw "rucs/sfc_moist_conv"

cd $NMAP_RESTORE/modl/
grep -ir spfh *
rucs/sfc_moist_conv:GDPFUN  sdiv(spfh;wnd)!dwpc!dwpc!dwpc ! kntv(wnd)

So I copied it to $NMAP_RESTORE/modl/cosmo/ and checked it such that SPFH used
GLEVEL=0, GVCORD=NONE (it did already).

Another example: I looked through $NMAP_RESTORE for files called "sfc" or "bl".
I copied the file $NMAP_RESTORE/modl/global/pmsl_and_bl_wind to
$NMAP_RESTORE/modl/cosmo/pmsl_and_bl_wind directory and made edits.  The
original file was:

GDATTIM fall
GLEVEL  9950!0
GVCORD  sgma!none
GDPFUN  mag(kntv(wnd))!sm5s(pmsl) ! kntv(wnd@9950%sgma)

Notice GLEVEL=9950, GVCORD=SGMA.  The cosmo grid does not have SGMA as a
vertical level, so I changed each "wnd" reference to explicity be WND@10%HGHT.

GDATTIM fall
GLEVEL  0
GVCORD  none
GDPFUN  mag(kntv(wnd@10%hght))!sm5s(pmsl) ! kntv(wnd@10%hght)

"pmsl", you will notice, takes on the GLEVEL=0, GVCORD=none defintion.
therefore, this new cosmo file pmsl_and_bl_wind will show surface pressure and
10 meter winds.

It all starts with a grid field inventory using GDINFO, we must know what is
inside the file in order to choose and edit NMAP_RESTORE files.

That is the bulk of the work, after this is complete, all you need are entries
in mod_res.tbl and datatype.tbl, as you saw.

You can see that it is quite manual, the checking of fields in the grid file
against restore file syntax.  Hope this guides you well.

-Michael

Ticket ID: RGI-969779
Department: Support GEMPAK