[GEMPAK #WJJ-693443]: Lightning maps and range rings

> Good day-
> I'd like to overlay range rings on a NLDN lightning map that I am creating. I
> am unsure of where to start with this process. Is there a program that I can
> use to complete such a task?

Hi Darren,

Lightning are point data in GEMPAK and can be plotted with programs like sfmap
and gpmap.  With the way gempak program use the X windows graphics device, you
can call multiple gempak programs in a script to overlay images, text and other
graphics.  There is a program called gpanot (
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/man/prog/gpanot.html ) that can
overlay range rings in the form of

SHAPE    = regpoly
INFO     = 1/1.0/360/360

along with other parameters such as LOCI for where to place.

There's an old thread archived about this here:

http://mailman.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/gempak/msg03234.html

Hope this help.

-Michael

Ticket ID: WJJ-693443