[GEMPAK #MQT-779038]: GEMPAK - "Error: Can't open display"

Hello Andre,

"Error: Can't open display" happens when a GEMPAK program tries but fails to
connect to an X-windows server for the drawing or display of graphics.  The
environmental variable DISPLAY is not being found.

As a normal/non-gempak user, you can check the definition of $DISPLAY with the
command:

echo $DISPLAY

It will likely be ':0.0' or 'hostname:0.0'.

If you switch to the gempak account with "su gempak" instead of "su - gempak"
your current session envars (including $DISPLAY) will be carried to the gempak
session.  Try "su gempak" and "echo $DISPLAY" after confirming/setting $DISPLAY
as the first user.

Additionally, for ssh sessions to carry the X window system, use "ssh -XY
user@host" instead of "ssh user@host".

Michael James
Unidata

> Good morning.
>
> I have a GEMPAK installed with LDM on my Fedora. But I got this error
> everytime I try to open nmap2 & or ntl & as GEMPAK user. But as a normal
> user, I can open normally.
>
> What should I do?
>
> "Error: Can't open display"

Ticket ID: MQT-779038