[GEMPAK #BWT-519283]: Plotting NEXRAD Level II data in Mercator projection

By the way I found this out a year or so ago when I was putting together a
Google Maps mashup with level3 N0Q transparent images output with a black
background.  the N0R low-res files looked fine, but the higher res N0Q scans
from different stations were overlapping incorrectly.  I thought I had found
that the projections for these NIDS files was written into the file itself and
depended on radar site calibration, which would be batch re-projection of the
this supposed stereographic projection rangent to earth's surface may not work.
But I need to find where I was in the code a ~year ago to confirm.

Michael

> Michael,
> Thanks - I'm going to give Daryl's stuff a try but I'd really like to get
> level 2 imagery in a GIS format. Chiz also mentioned that the rad projection
> is essentially a polar stereographic projection that is tangent to the
> Earth's surface at the radar location so I'll see if I can warp that to a
> mercator using the gdal routines.
>
> Greg

Ticket ID: BWT-519283
Department: Support GEMPAK